Friday, September 20, 2013

Week 52 - Hanna


The man in the video above is just one of the reasons that I ended up pursuing the path I chose.As a kid, I didn't really know him or of him that well. There wasn't cable TV with his jungle adventures, and we certainly didn't watch late night television. But National Geographic and Nature documentaries lead to a love of wild animals, and little did I know but he was cultivating one of the best places to go see those animals. Mind you, the Columbus Zoo didn't turn out to be the #1 US zoo overnight. No, it took decades of hard work by Jack Hanna and his team to build the zoo up into a respected exhibition and conservation location for all kinds of wild species. And the work hasn't stopped. Just this week, he was telling us about a new cheetah exhibit that will allow them to reach 60+ mph, one of the only in the United States.

He sure does love animals, and I could go on forever about all the great things he has done for Columbus, the zoo, the animals, the state of Ohio, our country and the world's awareness of endangered species, their habits and our interaction with them. His handling of the Zanesville "accident" a couple years ago was professional and balanced a consideration for the well-being of the animals with the safety of the local human residents. I know he got a lot of flak for that, but he did a good job using his celebrity persona to make a difference in a disaster.
The clouded leopard made a brief appearance this weekend. :)
But this post really isn't all about how great Jack Hanna is. My wife says I'm pretty creepy for how much I like him, but when we had the chance to meet him this week at a cancer research fundraiser hosted by a local farmer impacted by cancer, I jumped all over it. So we got to meet him, and get our picture taken with him and I told him how much I appreciated his speaking at my graduation back in December (read more). And we got our picture taken with him! And he signed a picture over to our little girl; he got a kick out of the fact that they both had the same name. :)

Daddy and baby girl looking at the rhino.
Ironically, this was also our first week out at the zoo. I really believe that all of the time I would spend at the zoo growing up sparked my curiosity, practiced my reading, gave me great exercise and improved my conversational relationship with my family. It is not just the knowledge of the animals, but the observation of them and the appreciation for them that develops over time that make a zoo membership worth it, over and above just a simple trip there on a yearly basis. And it is this love of animals and nature that I hope we will be able to nourish in Hannah as well. She is following in the footsteps of two parents who truly believe in taking care of this world around us, protecting the enviroment and habitats, and raising wholesome food for the community. And before she can learn to plant the seeds or shear a sheep, she will learn to watch the moose in their solemn quiet, the bears in their slumber, the gorillas in their playfulness and the elephants in their discovery.
Our baby girl at the zoo with the old grizzly bears.
In other news this week, I finally got my car cleaned. My wife said I had to if I wanted to ever haul our little Hannah in it. There is a great place down off of campus that will vacuum your car, clean the interior and wash it for about $15. It takes around 15-20 minutes, and they do a really good job. In preparation, I pulled all of the junk out of my car (and there was a lot of it) and put it all in the garage (where it has since been all put away, I promise). In the process, I found a little toad living in my doorjam, doubtless surviving on all the good bugs living in my car. When I picked up the car from the carwash, I also came away with 2 extra pocketknives that I had given up for lost (and since then I have lost 2 others). All in all, it was a pretty good day for a carwash, and I am now approved to transport the little girl, just in time for daycare next week.

And in case you are wondering how the little girl is doing...
 
She is going pretty great. :)

On the work front, I have finally gotten the protocol put together for our lab to take protozoal video and turn it into objective data for the motility and size of protozoa under the influence of different treatments. This is pretty big for our lab and hopefully will lead to some real good data down the road. Finally, I have made a unique impact on the productivity and value of our lab. Of course, I owe some thanks along the way, especially to the guy who shared "Tetratracker" plugin with us for the ImageJ (even though he didn't know much about how to use it), and to two of my interns, Logan and Brooklyn, who have put in a fair bit of time on this over the summer, as well as the muscle biology lab for the microscope. But my primary gratitude is towards J. Pederson for his very helpful instructions on cleaning up videos with the binary conversion and image subtraction in ImageJ. If anyone needs help learning this process, I recommend you search his YouTube channel for lots of image analysis problem-solving.
He is how I learned to take a video like this in grayscale...
Correct the contrast and subtract the non-motile background...
And end up with clearly defined moving objects to use with any multitracker plugin.

Until next time, just keep your chin up and smile. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment