Sunday, April 28, 2013

Week 33 - Pissed

Just a fraction of the chalkboard ramblings.
Forgive the crassity, but you'll appreciate the humor in a minute. This week has been full of busy productivity as procedures moved forward in the lab and we developed/agreed on the plan from here. A bit of it felt like a meeting of the minds from the "Big Bang"; I've attached a picture to illustrate the scrawlings strewn acrost the board. I had to take them so I could remember later what I was trying to do. In other work related news, we pulled a balloon prank to fill the office of my advisor. After his reaction to this one, I'm glad we didn't pull out the big stops.

My advisor's office after 150 balloons. He was knee-deep in it, and we worried we were, too.
Cherry wheat in the secondary fermetation.
On the brewing front the cherry wheat is looking great and finally bottled. I spent far less time in secondary fermentation and lost about half a gallon in yield due to the cherries taking up volume and soaking water. All told, the wheat beer looks great, dark and smells sweet. Abv is nearly 5% and we made 40 odd bottles once the 3 lbs. of cherries were removed. I can't wait for the baby to be born so I can have some with my wife.

The main punch line is the best of this post. When I was down the basement in the utility sink, I heard the toilet flush and the sound of trickling water. Before I realized what was going on, there was water running on my head. My wife had flushed and hit me in the head! Quite literally pissed, I came to find out that when she hung our potrack it had drilled right through our sewer return pipe. It had taken over a year to manifest itself, but I was sure that we needed to fix this as soon as possible. Thus begins my first experience as a home owner responsible for my own repairs. I have cut the drywall out and found two holes, one where she had not wanted the potrack to hang permanently and a second where we had finally sunk it. It is moments like this, where we can laugh together, that I am most thankful for my wife and her companionship through life's adventures.
Our double-drilled sewer pipe (and my sloppy drywall removal).

No comments:

Post a Comment