Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Week 27 - Sick

It would seem that all my bragging about my immune system over the years have finally come back to bite me. Years ago, back when I was in Europe, we were housed in a condemned virology laboratory that looked like it was picked up in Soviet territory and dumped in the university's backyard. Inevitably, we all got sick in that building, and my illness dragged on for a good four weeks - some nights I thought I might die. Alone in a foreign country, I turned to a winning strategy from back at home with orange juice and vodka. Since kicking that bug, I've shook hands with H1N1, shared drinks with mono and meningitis, and given every bug a solid kick in the pants back to the sewers.
My wife sent this to me this past week to help me feel better at work. :)
Unfortunately, pride comes before the downfall and when it seemed like I beaten a cold in 2 days that took my wife over a week to get rid of, I started playing basketball and biking out in the winter weather as normal. And now I'm pretty sick - probably going to end up at the doctor's next week if I can't get over this. By then it will be near 2 weeks since I was well, and this is sneaking up on infringing on my bike race, so I'm hoping now to be better and have a warm day for the ride. Current weather predictions look to be 50s and partly sunny.

Someone killed my lab friend this week. RIP.
Protocols I designed and tested in theory this week in the lab for a new methods of quantifying dissolved hydrogen did not work out as a planned, so it's back to the drawing board. Some days I feel like the much-abused Edison quote about 9,999 ways not to make an incandescent lightbulb. But cheers for the effort anyhow.

This past week, I found myself alone at home for a few hours and finally had the chance to watch the newest Underworld movie. Yes, I'm behind the times, but I try not to buy movies like this until the DVD costs as little as it would have for me to go to the theatre when it emerged. Anyhow, I thought the movie was pretty good, maybe the 2nd best in the series. But when it ended, I was left too inspired and happy compared to the others. *SPOILER ALERT* Who thought it was ok to resurrect the dead lover of Selene? And since when did a child with super-natural powers need to inject a motherly-love backtide into a killing series? The series is definitely getting deeper and has a lot of potential, so hopefully the writers can turn this into something great (and re-make the 2nd one), since they obviously want to take it beyond a bunch of werewolve slayings.

Better luck next time, Mr. Hoke.
In other news, the Big Ten has turned into a bloodbath of road games and a recent loss by scUM at my alma mater turned into a bigger massacre when the football coach Hoke tried to gather attention to his program at a visitor school. Next time, you should be sure you'll win the game before drawing attention to your school. MSU recruits ate him alive on Twitter as they watched the student section rile him throughout the loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment