Monday, January 14, 2013

Week 21 - Copasetic

Trophy sponsors with our National Championship 4-H Skillathon Team.
I'm pretty happy to say that I have a great relationship with my mother-in-law. Since the beginning we have gotten along very well, since we have similar interests and work in the same department. It's always been a bit easy for me compared to most because my mother-in-law was my coach long before I ever dated her daughter. Every so often down here on campus, she takes me out to lunch and we get to talk, which I enjoy a lot because I always learn something new. Well, a couple weeks ago, it was the word "copasetic". If you look it up online, the definition is that "all is well". Unknown origin from the mid-1900s, so some lucky fool got to make it up, and in my opinion it likely came back to the U.S. from World War I when we were interacting with some many Eastern Europeans, which based on previous spelling (kopasetik) is likely the true origin of the word.

Well, my past week has been a flurry of work and downtime filled by exercise (our IM basketball team was schooled yesterday and I've been trying to get into better shape), but our home is truly copasetic. My wife has been feeling better than before, although still plagued by occasional nausea and backaches. I cleaned up some brush piles, got down the Christmas lights, chopped up some of the wood in the sidelot, and we've generally been getting things done. We traveled to a redneck highlight, the WV Cabela's, watched a friend play NAIA basketball (sub D-level), and my wife had a work year-end party.
Ohio Wesley University women defeated Denison this week.

The view upon entering Cabela's in West Virginia.
Elephants inspire so much awe, I don't think I could ever shoot one.
These stuffed animals look just as if they're alive again.

Meanwhile, on the work front, we have a lot to get done, and I even sorted cows for an ongoing trial on Sunday morning before mass, but this is more the calm before the storm. I am waiting on parts to be delivered before I act on project plans that we have. While I wait, I am reading and drafting manuscripts, and writing up protocols and plans. It's hard to focus on this stuff as it requires you to stop and think about what you're writing - and then next thing I know I'm looking up Arizona's basketball schedule and wondering how long it will be before they fall out of the top 25.

Thought I would just share a little video clip exemplifying the home front. She even saw this ad and laughed about how that was how she felt a lot.

 


The beginning of the year always seems to bring on a lot of news as people wake from the end-of-year slumber. Last week was no exception, but I thought I would share a things that just make you stop and shake your head about the world we live in. Regardless of the poor survey tactics and statistics reporting methods, it is still hilarious that lice and Nickelback were found to be more popular than U.S. congress. And who is surprised (except about Nickelback...)? Pundits galore had their way with the idea of a platinum coin; the mere fact that this came up in discussion aggravates me. I have to pay my bills every month, which are close with a miniscule grad stipend, (now smaller by an increased tax which still didn't fix the budget) but Congress thinks they can get payraises and fail to balance the budget repeatedly? Brent Musburger made no friends with his crude comments towards "Miss Alabama", but she didn't seem to mind too much. Personally, I was surprised he didn't get delayed out - his mistake but ESPN let it roll and they ran the camera on her that long to prompt his discussion in the first place.

With all of the recent tragedies bringing on an inevitable gun regulation smack-down that the NRA and right-wing tea party can't hold back, my wife and I, and others around us have talked about gun classes or gun purchases before the apocalypse. We haven't acted on this yet, have enough weaponry in the house, but I do want to comment on this past week's episode of New Girl. We got hooked on the show last season because it was absolutely hilarious, but over time, the humor has led to a long-term plot, and unlike the good old "friends living together having fun" shows, this one does not look like it has the long-term viability based on the writing. And we were especially disappointed by the very poor display of firearm safety and joking associated with it this past week. Jess starts swinging around a shotgun (called a rifle in the show) and flags everyone around her before eventually pulling a half-assed shot which throws her back and hits the power transformer. Drunk college-aged kids playing with firearms is not a message that a TV show should be sending - then people wonder why kids have no respect for the danger that a firearm represents. That episode might just be enough for us to stop watching the show forever. I have known kids who died from firearms accidents, without the added factor of alcohol, and it is never as funny as FOX tried to portray it.


Contrary to the post, this Raleigh never was, and certainly isn't, a fine a racing bike.
My final thought is this. Craigslist is a great place to find all sorts of gems, make horrible life decisions, or get murdered. It is also home to some of the worst items for sale ever. You never know what you might find or get traded, so remember, sign nothing and don't give away your sperm. Other than that, everything's game and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment