Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week 6 - Virus

Thankfully, this does not pertain to a computer virus. For the most part, I keep my computer pretty well protected from viruses. I've picked up a few over the years, but mostly when someone in the office uses a computer for purposes not publicly acceptable and then when my flash drives plug into the USB port and then into mine the wonderful coding spreads. No, the past 2 weeks my wife has been pretty sick. I'll spare you the details, but she had a bad case of the common cold. It was pointed out to me that I should avoid contact, but being married generally guarantees you will be exposed despite your best efforts. Luckily, I have developed an intense immune system over the years that can rock and roll with the best that evolution has to throw at me. I'm like Madagascar or Cuba in Pandemic 2, which is a pretty fun waste of time if you have some to lose - tough to infect and tougher to kill (so far, anyways).

Betsy out at the reservoir.
To get her out of the house for a break, we took a beautiful fall walk on the local dam in the evening at the beginning of the week. With the crisp breeze off the water and leaves just starting to change, I felt like we could even breathe relaxation. Of course, Betsy's excitement kept me grounded in reality, as she was trying to meet every new dog she saw. Sometimes she still seems like a little puppy even though she's 3 1/2 years old now. It is hard to believe that just 2 years ago we didn't have her in our family. She fits right in and makes us so happy; I never want to lose her.

This past week flew by very quickly with so much to get done but nothing really accomplished. For example, I managed to get all the laundry done but not folded. I got the dishes washed but never put away. Little things kept coming up which turned into big things, which in turn took too long and ruined my plan for the evening. One good thing has come about which is a huge time-saver: I found Betsy's magic food. She will absolutely do anything for a piece of bread, including come running when called from anywhere on the property. After spending so much time convincing her to come in, this is a refreshing change which I am willing to sacrifice some people food to keep.

At the end of the week, I took the county 4-H livestock judging team to Omaha for a national judging contest. Packing highschoolers into a mini-van and driving 13 hours each way is not my idea of paradise but they were troopers and very upbeat through the whole trip. We did very well, too, placing 5th nationally as a team which is awesome considering we didn't exist 5 years ago. Hopefully this is just the start of some awesome times to come. I'm so proud of the kids I coach. Also, I'm thankful for the flexible job hours that I have as a graduate student. My advisor just signed off and let me go for the contest without blinking which is why I am determined to get a lot done for him here in October. Hopefully I will have something to show for his trust in me soon.

Three things of note from the trip. First off, never stay in the Baymont on 72nd in Omaha unless it burns down. We checked in and the one room smelled like locker room and the closet smelled like vomit. The girls' room looked like someone took a jackhammer to the bathroom and my room hadn't even been cleaned. When we went to complain at the front desk, another couple said they had 5 rooms which were leaking water from the story above them. The hotel was great about a refund, as I informed them the only price adjustment we would take was zero, and we promptly moved to a Best Western in Bellevue, just outside Omaha. Nice little place.

Second, the team judged in the same arena that the Olympic swimming trials were held. It was amazing to think of there being a swimming pool set down and crowds cheering on Phelps and the gang when we were sitting watching kids judge sheep, cattle, goats and pigs. The fact that there was a rodeo and drunk Diamond Rio fans there the night before also adds to my amazement at the previous functions of the place. Very amazing.

Swimming trials photo. Credit
Ak-Sar-Ben stock show in Omaha.
Last, but definitely not least, we stopped at the American Pickers place on the way back. It is only a mile off I-80 in La Clair, and was totally worth it. There's not a ton to see, but that is why I liked it. It's cool to see where a show takes place and see also that it is still a real junk shop with real people working there. The girl at the register grew up showing sheep and was telling us about how the owners of the place now have to hide from the public stalking them at home since their rise to fame.


Me, outside Antique Archaeology (American Pickers).
Definitely a week to remember with so many highs and also the lows of getting so tired from all the travel and work. Now that the judging season is officially over for us, I can finally enjoy fall in all its glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment