Thursday, September 13, 2012

Week 3 - Home


So this past week’s post is a touch late, by a touch I mean 4 days. I got so hung up in the flow of the weekend and then the rush of this week at a conference that I haven’t had to time to get life written down. Football season is now in full swing and my Spartans roll on towards the season-defining Notre Dame Irish this weekend. Last weekend we tailgated here at home for the game and had a few beers but less than I had planned on due to the crazy night before. Just a little love from a previous great game. :)


We went to a wedding at what I had presumed for years to be an abandoned warehouse but instead was a loft with 2 reception sites. A former work friend of my wife’s was married East of town amidst some of hurricane Isaac’s best followed by a rainbow and beautiful sunset. The party proceeded into town for a delicious catered meal and a rare view of downtown. My wife and I worried about the kind of people we would be sat with at the wedding with open seating, but we lucked out with a coal miner and his wife, and then a landscaper and his family. Real people with real lives can make new friends so much easier with good conversation. Glowsticks and dancing included, we had a pretty good time and got a significant amount of booze through the system, my wife more than I. It was definitely a night to remember; it’s so nice to be more relaxed in this new position and really focus on time together.


Biggest football game of the week was ULM’s win over Arkansas. I wanted to watch it since I knew some people involved in the game but we don’t get ESPNU so I fell asleep watching and hoping for some SEC losses. It’s not that I disagree that they’re the best, I just keep hoping for some other teams to catch up – MSU is pretty much the only hope now for the Spartans with OSU banned from the post-season.


The in-laws have a Spaniel puppy that is growing up to be aggressive and got in a fight with Betsy last weekend. Betsy is too nice to stand up for herself and she was pretty shaken after being cchased around the yard for her treat. The next morning she went outside and seemed broken – no sniffing, tail still, and she was silent. She stood in the driveway amidst the rain, drowning in her melancholy. Either she’s a good actor or she was pitifully sad. To make matters worse, that is the last I’ve seen her since I haven’t been home from the conference yet. As I write this, we are nearing our hometown, so I am going to break this one short in order to get in the car and hurry home to see her and my wife. Home is such a precious feeling, more than just where you live or how often you’re there. It’s where your heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment