Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Welcome

When I first started blogging, it was less of a cool thing for everyone to do and more of a way that my friends and I put a funny spin on our lives. We’d self-congratulate on witticisms and compare followers, and I was very diligent through senior year and into college to document my activities, the love(s) of my life and my big moments in life. But then over time, I got so caught up in enjoying life that I didn’t pause and take time to document it. In my opinion, this was a good thing as I held up one of my rules – never let societal rules and expectations get into the way of life as it comes. Riding the highs and lows of life didn’t leave me time to document some of the greatest of times and I found myself wanting to return to blogging as a method of forcing myself to document life as I experienced it where I was held to responsibility by my readers. I didn’t want to focus on rewriting my history but instead wanted to share the moment with my readers so that I could return later and remember it more actively than reading a simple biography. This quickly descended into laziness as I pasted, embedded and truncated the news and my opinions into the blog. This eventually failed as I realized I didn’t like where my blogs were going and with a rising time commitment to my master’s thesis, this blog project also fell into severe neglect.

This leads me to a new juncture. Having successfully defended my thesis, I would like to return to the blog-world for both my own benefit and hopefully also to entertain and support others (probably by making them feel better about their own life). However, as I just began pursuing a PhD last week and would also like to dedicate more of my newfound free time to my wife, a daily blog represents a guaranteed failure. Thus, I have determined that I will pursue a long-term blog with weekly intervals. Despite obvious risk of posts which are too long for the average reader, I will focus on giving a weekly update of MY life from MY point of view. Since I am a pretty casual person who also overbooks and can’t keep track of my calendar, I pretty much live by the rule of taking things one step at a time; hence the blog title will be “One week at a time”. 

This blog is probably not always going to be hilarious; I have a dry sense of humor that often goes unappreciated. Also, while I love history, this will not be a strict timeline of the events in the world around me. Nor will I tell you about myself in some long description of my likes, dislikes, background and bucketlist. If you read my blog long enough, assuming the project survives the test of time, you will know me. I won’t bore you with my class schedule or what I ate for lunch (unless it gave me food poisoning). You can count on my account to be diverse and unpredictable as this blog records and must parallel my life. You might decide this isn’t worth reading and I’m ok with that, too. But, give it a chance and you might find you appreciate my point of view, can relate to my experiences or want to live vicariously through my randomness. I hope you enjoy this blog as I embark on the next journey in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment